Monday, March 15, 2010

Birthday Cake

Today I made my first cake from scratch for my wonderful husband's birthday. It took me a lot longer than it should have, but in the end it turned out great.
Paul asked if I could make him a sugar free cake with sugar free icing and I did my best to make that happen. I was really happy the way it turned out and so was Paul, I've never seen someone eat a piece of cake as big as he did.
I know the cake is not completely sugar free, but there's a huge difference between this recipe and boxed cake mix.
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 cup boiling water
1 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
1 cup SPLENDA® Sugar Blend for Baking
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
Combine cocoa and boiling water, whisking until blended. Set aside.
Combine flour, SPLENDA® Sugar Blend for Baking, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Cut butter into flour mixture with a fork or a pastry blender until crumbly. (This procedure may be done with a mixer at the lowest speed. Cover mixing bowl with a clean tea towel to prevent spattering).

Combine eggs, milk, cocoa mixture and vanilla in a small mixing bowl; add 1/3 of the egg mixture to flour mixture. Beat at low speed of an electric mixer until blended. Beat at medium speed for 30 seconds or until batter is smooth, stopping to scrape down sides of the bowl. Repeat procedure 2 times.
** This recipe only gave baking instructions for cupcakes, so I just guessed. I used a 8 inch square pan and baked it for a little over 35 min (can't remember exactly).
Icing: (I changed it a bit after reading reviews)
2 small packages sugar-free instant pudding mix (I used chocolate fudge & cheesecake)
1 3/4 cups milk
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
1 (8 ounce) container lite frozen whipped topping, thawed

In a medium bowl, combine pudding mix and milk. Mix well and let stand until thickened.
In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add pudding and mix well. Finally, fold in whipped topping.

1 comment:

Aunt Laura said...

Fantastic job. If you would like you should come down and by some of the white and chocolate cake mix. Everyone that buys it loves it. Also the sugar free carmel and chocolate. You could make paul healthy carmel apples.