Monday, April 5, 2010

German Chocolate Cake Balls

I make cake balls all the time but this is the first time I've made them with German Chocolate Cake (mostly because I don't really like coconut). However, everyone else on the planet seems to, so I gave it a shot.

1. Bake the cake using baking directions on the box.

2. In a large bowl crumble up the entire cake. I usually tear off the edges of the cake, depending on how crispy it is.

3. Mix 1 can coconut pecan frosting with about 1 cup butter cream frosting. I do that so the coconut is not overpowering for people like me, if you think you'll like it, just stick with 1 can coconut pecan.

Just want to show you what it looks like. I know it doesn't look good, but it is, and it's creamier too.

4. Add frosting to the cake a little at a time with a fork, until you like the consistency, then mix thoroughly with your hands. I did not use the whole mixture (don't worry I won't waste it), just enough to make it nice and mushy.

5. Using your hands, form the cake into cake balls. Once that's done put them into the freezer for at least 30 minutes before dipping. You can portion them however you like, but the most consistent is a cookie scoop or mini-ice cream scoop.

6. First melt your chocolate (candy coating) following the directions on the package. Then dip the cake ball into chocolate. I use a fork because it works best for me, so does the Corningware dish for the chocolate. Swirl the cake ball in the chocolate with the fork then tap a couple times and, before placing the cake ball on paper, scrape the bottom of the fork on the side of the bowl. This limits the build-up of chocolate on the bottom.

You'll notice I leave a bit of space between each one, and that there's a mess all around them. That's because the minute I set them down, I scrape around the bottom with the fork--do it fast or the chocolate hardens. If you're like me and you like to put them in candy cups, you'll find that step helps a lot.

Ooops!! This is the finished product. I guess I forgot pictures of the decorating. All I did was dip the tops in chocolate again then dipped them in coconut crunch.
Usually I drizzle a different-colored chocolate on top, but I wanted to try something different.

8 comments:

CookTeen said...

great idea to re-dip the truffles for the toppings--normally it's a race to get the toppings ready before the chocolate sets!

Aunt Laura said...

Oh my dad would love these

melody said...

These look wonderful and would be perfect for my kiddos to help with!

One question: what type of candy coating do you use?

Molly said...

Melody,

I use Merckens candy melts because I like the smoothness of it. The easiest to find is Wiltons though which is carried by Michael's. What ever candy melts you use, if they are very easy to work with (smooth) then you can just add a tiny bit of canola oil.

Molly said...

CORRECTION ****

if the ARE NOT very easy to work with.

joannaB73 said...

Looks like something fun to try - where do you buy the cake straws?

Delena said...

Beautiful! Giving this one a try for the Easter Bake Sale at church! What is "coconut crunch?"

Molly said...

Hi Delena, its just toasted coconut flakes. :)

Good luck with your bake sale!!!